Pesto with Cashews is a creamy sauce that goes well with a variety of recipes! This pesto is made without cheese and takes about 5 minutes to prepare.
Disclaimer: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which means I make a small commission if you choose to purchase through qualifying links.
Why you'll love this recipe
Typically, pesto is made with pine nuts, but this recipe uses raw cashews which gives it a delicious dairy-free cheesy flavor!
- Basil - Fresh basil is what gives this recipe a lot of the flavor. Make sure you pack the basil into the measuring cups.
- Raw Cashews - It's important to use raw cashews without added salt or oils. I found mine at Trader Joe's!
- Lemon Juice - Fresh or pre-squeezed lemon juice will work. (Fresh is always best!)
- Olive Oil - I would not swap for any other oils.
- Garlic - Fresh garlic works best for this recipe, but you can also swap for ½ teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Spices - Pesto is a simple recipe that doesn't require many spices! Just add salt and black pepper to enhance the other flavors.
🍴Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: Pesto Ingredients
Start by adding all ingredients in a food processor or blender.
Step 2: Blending Pesto
Blend until pesto is a smooth and creamy consistency. (Add water if needed.)
Gluten-Free Pasta Tips
For this recipe I used Jovial Brown Rice Penne. Jovial is one of my favorite gluten-free pasta brands!
They have a huge selection of shapes and are made with simple ingredients. (Plus they're organic!)
The Whole Foods brand makes a delicious chickpea pasta that is also organic, and only has ONE ingredient – chickpeas.
Whole30 & Grain-Free Pasta
If you're interested in a grain-free option, try making vegetable noodles! I highly recommend purchasing an inspiralizer.
I've had mine for about five years, and it's amazing!! I use it for zucchini, broccoli, yellow squash, beets, sweet potato
How to Store Leftovers
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight glass container for 5-7 days.
How to Freeze Pesto
Add leftover pesto to an ice cube tray. Freeze until solid, and then transfer the cubes into an airtight freezer safe container.
More pasta recipes!
After you make this Pesto with Cashews, make sure to leave a comment & rate the recipe!
Pesto with Cashews
- 1 Food Processor
- 2 Cup Basil
- ¾ Cup Raw Cashews
- ⅓ Cup Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Start by adding all ingredients in a food processor or blender.
- Blend until pesto is a smooth and creamy consistency. (Add water if needed.)
How to Store LeftoversLeftovers can be stored in an airtight glass container for 5-7 days.
How to Freeze PestoAdd leftover pesto to an ice cube tray. Freeze until solid, and then transfer the cubes into an airtight freezer safe container. **See full post for more information and step-by-step photos.
Want more recipes?
Check out my recipe box where you can browse by season, diet, and flavor!