Chicken Bone Broth Soup is one of my family's favorite cozy meals! It's incredibly flavorful, and made with simple, nourishing ingredients like homemade bone broth, vegetables and lots of herbs. (And it's great for gut health!)
Disclaimer: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which means I make a small commission if you choose to purchase through qualifying links.
- Bone Broth - You can use pre-made chicken bone broth, or regular chicken broth. I always make my own after baking a whole chicken! For step-by-step instructions check out this video on Instagram.
- Water - The soup is very flavorful thanks to the bone broth, so adding a little water to create a larger portion of soup doesn't affect the flavor.
- Chicken Breast - If you have leftover chicken, you can use that instead of cooking raw chicken breast! I usually pull off the meat from a baked whole chicken before making my bone broth. Save the meat in the refrigerator, and chop into small chunks for soup.
- Onion, Carrots, Celery - The three main vegetables you'll need to prepare for this recipe! It's best to sauté them at the bottom of the pot before adding in the broth. Feel free to add in extra vegetables if you'd like!
- Cauliflower Rice - Fresh or frozen! I usually buy frozen cauliflower rice in bulk at Costco. They also sell it at Whole Foods! You can make your own by pulsing cauliflower florets in the food processor.
- Fresh Rosemary - Or about 1 teaspoon dried rosemary.
- Dried Thyme - You can also use fresh thyme! About 1 tablespoon will work.
- Garlic - Freshly minced garlic can be added with the onions. (About 2 cloves.) This will add more flavor to your soup! Highly recommend, but it's not necessary.
- Gluten-Free Pasta - My favorite gluten-free pasta is by the brand Jovial. I love adding in elbows or bow ties to my chicken soup. You can find their pasta on Amazon, Whole Foods, Thrive Market, and sometimes Costco or Walmart!
- Rice - Rice is always a nice addition to chicken soup if you're looking for more "bulk."
- Potatoes - Small chunks of sweet potatoes or gold potatoes go well with this recipe too!
🍴Step by Step Instructions
Start by sautéing chopped onion with a little olive oil. After a few minutes add in the carrots and celery. Continue stirring. Next add in the rosemary, thyme, salt, black pepper, and cauliflower rice. Stir well.
Pour the bone broth and water into the pot. Then place the chicken breast on top. Cover the pot and let simmer on medium/low heat for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove the chicken breast and shred. Add back into the soup and stir well. Serve hot!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, without the pasta and rice this soup is Whole30 and Paleo friendly! It's made with simple, whole food ingredients.
Yes, if you make homemade bone broth ahead of time, you can freeze it for later! Just add to soup frozen and let it melt as the soup simmers.
Chicken broth is typically made with just meat, herbs, and vegetables. It's cooked for only a few hours. Bone broth is made with meat, bones, skin, vegetables, and herbs. It's simmered on low for 24+ hours which allows the ingredients to release their nutrients. Bone broth is rich in collagen!
How to store leftovers
Leftover soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months! To re-heat, add to a small pot and simmer on low until desired temperature.
More soup recipes!
- Creamy Carrot Tomato Soup (Dairy-Free)
- Dairy-Free Creamy Broccoli Soup
- Healthy Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Hearty Italian Meatball Soup (Whole30)
After you make this Chicken Bone Broth Soup, make sure to leave a comment & rate the recipe! Your feedback is helpful for me, and for anyone planning to try this recipe. I hope you love it as much as I do!
Chicken Bone Broth Soup
- 1 Large Pot
- 8 Cups Bone Broth
- 4 Cups Water
- 1 Pound Chicken Breast
- 1 Sweet Onion, Chopped
- 2 Cups Chopped Carrots
- 2 Cups Chopped Celery
- 4 Cups Cauliflower Rice Fresh or frozen!
- ½ Tablespoon Fresh Rosemary Or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- Start by sautéing chopped onion with a little olive oil. After a few minutes add in the carrots and celery. Continue stirring.
- Next add in the rosemary, thyme, salt, black pepper, and cauliflower rice. Stir well.
- Pour the bone broth and water into the pot. Then place the chicken breast on top. Cover the pot and let simmer on medium/low heat for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove the chicken breast and shred. Add back into the soup, and stir well. Serve hot!
First time making bone broth soup and it so easy to make!! Thank you for sharing.