Fajita Peppers and Onions is one of the easiest dishes you'll ever make! Once the vegetables are prepared, just toss them in the spices, and bake right in a cast iron skillet. It's great for fajitas, tacos, burrito bowls, or even meal prep!
Disclaimer: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which means I make a small commission if you choose to purchase through qualifying links.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Move over Chipotle! You can make delicious fajita style peppers and onions at home for a quick weeknight meal! Just follow this simple step by step recipe and you'll have an easy side dish for any Mexican Fiesta!
The best part about this recipe is that it's made fresh vegetables and some simple seasonings you probably have in your kitchen right now!
It's an extremely versatile dish that you can serve with a variety of meals and easily customize for dietary restrictions.
It doesn't get much easier than mixing all the ingredients together and baking in a large cast iron skillet! (You can also cook them on the stovetop in any nonstick skillet.)
What are Fajitas?
Fajitas are a Mexican dish that typically consists of peppers, onions, and some type of protein like chicken, steak, or shrimp that is served with warm tortillas. For more information, check out my Steak Fajita recipe!
- Sweet Bell Peppers - You can use red bell peppers, green bell peppers, yellow bell peppers, or orange bell peppers! I like using a variety of all the colors.
- Sweet Onion - You'll need 1-2 onions depending on how big they are. You can also add in a red onion too!
- Olive Oil - You can sub with avocado oil or coconut oil.
- Homemade Fajita Seasoning - Chili Powder, Cumin, Salt, Cayenne Pepper, Garlic Powder. If you don't have these individual spices, you can also use a packet of taco seasoning or a couple teaspoons of a Mexican style spice blend.
🍴Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: Prepare Vegetables
Start by adding the thinly sliced peppers and onions into a cast iron skillet or large bowl. Pour over all the spices and olive oil and stir well.
Step 2: Bake Vegetables
Bake the peppers and onions in a large cast iron skillet or casserole dish for about 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees, or until vegetables are tender. (Stir halfway through.)
Add the thin slices of seasoned vegetables into a large skillet. Cook on medium-high heat for about 30 minutes covered. Stir occasionally to prevent the vegetables from sticking and burning.
- If you don't have a large cast iron skillet, you can also use a large casserole dish to bake in the oven.
- For quicker preparation, use a packet of taco seasoning instead of individual spices.
- It's easier if you stir the veggies and spices together in a large bowl before adding into the skillet.
- For best results, stir the vegetable mixture halfway through baking to ensure even cooking and to prevent the vegetables from burning at the bottom of the pan.
- If you're using a cast iron skillet, make sure it's seasoned!
My favorite way to serve this dish is with grilled chicken or steak. After cooking, I thinly slice the meat and serve on the side with gluten-free tortillas. (Corn tortillas work too!)
Vegetarian or Vegan
If you're vegetarian or vegan, you can serve the vegetables with Cilantro Rice, refried beans, guacamole, black beans, or Mexican rice!
To make Chipotle style burrito bowls, serve with seasoned chicken or steak, cilantro rice, black beans, salsa, guacamole, and dairy-free feta!
Other great toppings - fresh lime juice, avocado, sliced jalapenos, hot sauce, and chopped cilantro.
How to store leftovers
If you have leftovers, they can easily be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. (Glass containers are my personal favorite!)
More Mexican recipes you'll love!
After you make these Fajita Peppers and Onions, make sure to leave a comment & rate the recipe!
Fajita Peppers and Onions
- 12" Cast Iron Skillet
- 6 Cups Sliced Bell Peppers
- 3-4 Cups Sliced Sweet Onion
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil You can sub with Avocado Oil.
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Start by adding sliced peppers and onions into the cast iron skillet or a bowl. (If it's easier to stir.) Pour over all the spices and olive oil, and stir well.
- Bake the peppers and onions in the cast iron skillet for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until vegetables are tender. (Stir halfway through.)
- Serve hot, enjoy!