LOVE is in the air!
Yes, I am referring to my relationship with these delicious Matcha Donuts! They're soft, sweet, and leave you with a little pep in your step! What more could you ask for??
I have been a long time fan of Matcha. This ancient green tea has a long list of health benefits, a beautiful vibrant green color, (thanks to chlorophyll) and a smooth rich taste. It also has the perfect amount of caffeine to leave me feeling focused and awake, without all the jitters.
Donuts + Matcha = Breakfast Perfection
The real question is, why haven't I thought of this sooner??
I'll be honest, the first batch had me coughing up crumbs, but after a few tweaks I was in LOVE. These donuts are soft, sweet, and best of all, gluten, dairy, and nut-free! As someone with food sensitivities, I struggle to find tasty options - especially for donuts!
I created this simple recipe using a special new ingredient, and no it's not Matcha! Say hello to my newest baking obsession... Green Banana Flour!
Why bake with green banana flour?? It's a great gluten-free alternative that is high in fiber, magnesium, potassium, and resistant starch - which is great for gut health! It also has a subtle flavor which is why it works well with this recipe.
I used my favorite traditional Matcha Latte recipe for the flavor inspiration. I really wanted the unique Matcha flavor to stand out, and it definitely does! I also added a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg!
If you can't tell, this recipe was inspired by one of my favorite holidays, Valentine's Day. With the holiday right around the corner, I figured they needed a Valentine's Day touch! The donuts taste amazing on their own, but I created an easy strawberry frosting that pairs perfectly!
Step aside chocolate, there's a new Valentine's Day treat in town.
- ⅓ Cup + 1 Tbs. Green Banana Flour
- 2 Tbs. Soar Organics Everyday Matcha
- ⅓ Cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Cinnamon
- ¼ Tsp. Nutmeg
- ¼ Tsp. Baking Soda
- ¼ Tsp. Baking Powder
- ¼ Tsp. Salt
- 3 Eggs - Room Temperature
- ⅓ Cup Coconut Oil - Melted
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Set your oven to 350 degrees.
- You will need one bowl for dry ingredients, and one bowl for wet ingredients.
- Start by adding all dry ingredients into a bowl, and mix with a fork or spoon until thoroughly combined.
- Next add all wet ingredients into a bowl, and use a hand mixer to blend together.
- Then slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Spray your donut pan with a non-stick spray. (I typically use coconut oil spray, or avocado oil spray.)
- Spoon in your batter, and make sure you don't cover the center of the donut.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.
- Let them sit in the pan to cool for about 5 minutes, and then gently use a fork to release them from the pan, and lay them on a cooling rack.
Strawberry Frosting - Optional, but highly recommended.
- 1 Cup Fresh Strawberries
- 3 Dates
- Hot water
- Soak your dates in hot water for about 5 minutes.
- Next, drain the water, and add fresh strawberries.
- Using a blender - I use a Nutribullet - blend the two ingredients until it's a thick, smooth consistency.
- Top your cooled donuts with the frosting!